Was a little weary about succeeding April’s Apple Watch Challenge. The goal was to burn 720 calories, workout 30 minutes a day, and stand for at least once every hour 12 times. I only missed one day in a 24 day streak, so after day 25 I had crushed my goal with 5 days to peddle around. In which, I did. My exercise app was getting worried about me. Lol.
In May now, meaning a new Challenge. This month is targeted for 1,777 minutes of exercise for the entirety of the month. Wowza. That’s 57-58 minutes a day! This includes sleep-in Sundays. 👀 What a girl to do? ….
- Keep on running: Documenting the times and distance. Challenge self to beat the last week’s distance and times. Ran a 5K on accident last month – BOOM.
- Hang the punching bag on something sturdy: Started boxing about to months ago, but the punching bag fell out the ceiling. Oops. Purchased metal stand ☑️. Get back to boxing to gain arm/shoulder muscle definition.
- Preplan workout times: Work, spouse, animal babies need me. Make sure at least an hour of “me time” is set aside.
Going to brag a little too… I won in an ape watch challenge and took on the Earth Day Challenge. Pretty proud. Little things add up to BIG things. 😉
Getting stronger with every workout. I’m gaining weight, which means I gaining muscles. It’s liberating becoming a physically strong women to match the mentally strong you – FYI.
Raise your hand if you love running. LOL. More people probably rolled their eyes instead of raising their hands. This year’s resolution included hitting Apple’s monthly challenges. This month’s challenge was 1,190 exercises minutes, the calorie burn number was off the radar this month. Since running and I do not have the best relationship. Do you ever think “I’m slow, “my body hurts”, “Am I being chased?”…. when someone ask you if you lie running? Welp, we are in the same boat. So March’s 1,190 minutes were dedicated to running and getting out of that headspace. I few lessons were learned this month and I want to share them with you.
Why you should work on your relationship with running:
- Release Stress and Clear Your Head: When you’ve had a long, crazy day and had to deal with some dumb stuff or you have a complex issue you need to figure out. GO FOR A RUN. Running boosts serotonin, dopamines, and endorphins that give you a natural high. It’s hard to be stressed out if you’re high on life. With the new found boost and quiet time, you will find it easier to sort out daily curveballs.
- Builds Your Confidence: At first, you may start off with a little negative self-talk. But as you cross milestones, like running for longer than 5 minutes without stopping, hitting your first mile, or discovering a breathtaking trail, you will feel a sense of pride that is backed-up with positive self-talk. I can assure you, you will walk around with a little extra perk in your step and a bit more confidence.
- Convenience: No equipment needed! You don’t have to pay a gym membership, you can do it alone or with friends, you do not have to choose a time slot – You can go whenever you feel like it without getting into a car or you can find a trail that inspires you. Split times, perfect technique, or longer distances doesn’t have to be an issue until you are ready. Start with little goals that make you a better person than you were yesterday. YOU ARE A RUNNER.
I felt all this for the last 4 weeks. I dropped 2 minutes off my 1-mile run on accident. I was just self-talking myself to not stop running. Finding apps that will track your running stats are helpful and motivating. You just might fall in love with running. By the way – I surpassed my challenge and started back mountain biking with the new found strength.
Today has been a lazy day for me. I will call it a “rest” day. Skipped my early morning weekday run to cuddle a little longer with my wife, because my hive breakout happened again overnight. Then semi-stressed out about making pineapple orange punch for an afternoon potluck I was not even going to make it to. Finally, people came to the house to install a fire extinguisher. All this rolled into, I will not be cooking tonight. Jemarie confirmed she will not be cooking either. Out into the streets of Idar, we go looking for food. We stopped at a Vietnamese restaurant in this cute little Germany town and the food was delicious. My Phō hit the spot.
As Jemarie and I are eating dinner, a lady seemed to be so interested in us. She couldn’t help herself and asked us if we were English or American. My country self was looking at her like we are obviously American. (I have my country twang and Je has her moments of Mid-westerner.) Anyway, my dear wife has the biggest doe eyes that invite people to just keep talking and I don’t know what it is about me but people tell me all their darkest secrets they have held for decades. Us acknowledging her signed us up for 1/2 German, 1/4 English, 1/4 Gibberish conversation about the US, her Dad, her Brother, airplanes, the military, photography, religion, rape, Jews….. She talked for so long I had to order a round of drinks to keep up. And that wasn’t the weirdest thing. Je got up to pay for dinner and the first thing out of her mouth when Jemarie left was “you are interesting looking”. I wasn’t sure what to say (thank you definitely was not on that list). All I could do was a laugh as she looked at me like chickens looking for feed. Unsure if I was supposed to be offended since she asked me if I was Jemarie’s Mom earlier, I just stared back at her. After the long pause, she tells me how she never married because her father only wanted her to marry a German man and that was not what she wanted. The conversation ended with her saying she was depressed, her father was 91, and she was alone.
Her last statement broke my heart. There has to be a point in your life you have to start living for yourself. What’s the point of having material things when there is no one to enjoy it with (meaning a close family circle, great friends, or a life partner)? Make sure you are building a life of rich relationships and not just stuff. This is coming from a very solitaire, introverted, loner who is TERRIBLE at maintaining relationships. So for people like me, learn how to be open to the people you have around you. Because people are there for a season, lifetime, or a reason – you have to find out which.